It is the famous typical Korean soup that is prepared in conjunction with Seollal, the Korean New Year according to the lunar calendar.
The origins of Tteokguk are ancient and uncertain, it dates back to at least 1800. Over time, different versions have been made, each concerning regional ingredients. At the base there is always a protein broth, Korean dumplings with a flat shape, egg white and egg yolk cut à julienne and sliced seaweed.
200 g flat rice dumplings
2 pieces of beef with bone
1 nori seaweed sheet
1 kombu seaweed sheet
- Divide the yolks from the whites and beat them separately in two different bowls.
- Access the stove and keep the flame low. Put some vegetable oil in a pan and remove the excess with a sheet of kitchen paper.
- Make a very thin omelette with egg white. Keep it aside.
- Make another very thin omelette with the yolk. Keep it aside.
- First cut the egg white omelette and then the egg yolk omelet. Keep it aside.
- Turn on the smaller stove and roast the nori seaweed by waving it over the flame. Then cut it into slices with a scissors.
- Take a pot with high sides and lid and insert: 2 crushed garlic heads, 2 pieces of leek and the sheet of kombu seaweed.
- Add water, add the beef, cover with the lid and bring to the boil.
- Once the boiling point is reached, remove the foam formed on the surface. Remove the kombu seaweed.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove the meat and garlic and keep them aside. Remove the leek and kombu seaweed.
- Add 1 tablespoon of salt to the broth, 1 tablespoon of soy sauce and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Cover and keep warm.
- Put the rice dumplings on a deep plate, cover them with cold water and leave to rest for 30 minutes.
- Once the meat has cooled, cut it into small pieces. Mash the cooked garlic and add it to the meat together with the leek cut into thin slices, a teaspoon of sesame seeds, 2 tablespoons of soy sauce, black pepper and 1 tablespoon of sesame oil. Mix carefully to flavor.
- Bring the broth to a boil. Drain the rice dumplings and add them to the broth. Cook for 3/4 minutes.
- Serve on a deep plate: add the rice dumplings with the broth, the yolk and the egg white à julienne, the nori seaweed in strips, the beef. Add gochujang if you like to give more flavor.