Korean street toast
Korean street toast (otherwise known as Gilgeori toast (길거리 토스트) is one of the best known and most bought meals in street kiosks as breakfast in South Korea.
Preparing this sandwich is really very simple, also because you won't have any needs of Korean ingredients.
If you like it, you can add some cheese.
2 slices of sandwich bread
3 tablespoons of finely chopped cabbage
1 tablespoon finely chopped carrot
1 finely chopped spring onion
1 slice of cooked ham (or bacon)
1 teaspoon of white sugar
- Pour the cabbage, carrot and spring onion into a bowl and salt to taste, massaging the ingredients with your hands. Add the egg and mix with a spoon. Keep it aside.
- Heat a large and possibly non-stick pan. Lower the heat and melt a knob of butter.
- Pour the vegetables into the pan and, with the help of a spatula, give the omelette a thick and rectangular shape, the same size as the bread. Turn the omelette taking care not to break it and cook on the other side.
- If necessary, add more butter and brown the slices of bread on both sides in the same pan.
- Brown the ham (or bacon) in a pan.
- Prepare the sandiwch by placing the omelette on the first slice of bread. Sprinkle with sugar, add the ham (or bacon) and spread the ketchup on it. Add the second slice of bread, gently press the sandwich and serve immediately.