Okonomiyaki (お 好 み 焼 き) is one of the most famous dishes of Japanese street food, whose authorship has always been disputed between Osaka (here the recipe) and Hiroshima. The latter, in particular, differs from the first for the presence of batter such as a crepe and yakisoba noodles.
You can buy the ingredients used on the Oishii Planet website: using the code HAMSTER10 you will get a 10% discount on your purchases.
2 heaping tablespoons of flour
1 handful of powdered katsuobushi
50 grams of coarsely chopped white cabbage leaves
30 gr of fresh bean sprouts
1 packet of yakisoba instant noodles
50 gr thinly sliced pork belly (or bacon)
1 handful of aonori seaweed
1 handful of tenkasu
1 spring onion, finely chopped (only the green part)
- Make the batter by mixing the flour with about 5 tablespoons of still water: it must be quite liquid. Leave to rest for about ten minutes.
- Heat a non-stick pan (or hot plate) and brush with vegetable oil. Pour in a generous amount of batter (keeping at least two tablespoons) and create a thin crepe. Sprinkle with a little katsuobushi powder.
- Mix the cabbage with the rest of the batter and pour it over the crepe. Then add the tenkasu and bean sprouts on top. Season with salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the bacon slices side by side on top, season with salt and pepper. Turn the omelette with the help of two spatulas.
- Move the omelette so that you can brush more oil on the pan and add the yakisoba noodles. Salt, pepper, sprinkle with katsuobushi powder. Add a drop of water, a generous dose of okonomiyaki sauce and divide the noodles with the help of the spatulas.
- Put the omelette on the noodles just separated and move it again to brush more vegetable oil. Break the egg and lightly mix the yolk with the egg white. Place the omelette on top of the freshly broken egg. Then turn the whole omelette on itself with the help of the spatulas.
- Finish the okonomiyaki by brushing with yakisoba sauce, add the aonori seaweed, Kewpie mayonnaise and chopped spring onion. Serve immediately.